Pages

Friday 16 June 2017

Mom's Response To Her Daughter Calling Her 'Fat' Goes Viral (4 Pics)

 Allison Kimmey is a self-help author and mom, who writes a lot about body positivity and loving yourself as you are. Like most mom's, she's still had the experience of having one of her kids express an idea that she probably absorbed from our media. In a post on Instagram, she wrote, "My daughter called me fat today."


Kimmey decided she needed to get to the source of the problem, and shared her conversation with her two offspring with 100k followers:
She was upset I made them get out of the pool and she told her brother that mama is fat.
I told her to meet me upstairs so we could chat.
Me: "what did you say about me?"
Her: "I said you were fat, mama, im sorry"
Me: "let's talk about it. The truth is, I am not fat. No one IS fat. It's not something you can BE. But I do HAVE fat. We ALL have fat. It protects our muscles and our bones and keeps our bodies going by providing us energy. Do you have fat?"
Her: "yes! I have some here on my tummy"
Me: "that's right! So do I and so does your brother!"
Her brother: "I don't have any fat, I'm the skinniest, I just have muscles"
Me: "actually everyone, every single person in the world has fat. But each of us has different amounts."
Her brother: " oh right! I have some to protect my big muscles! But you have more than me"
Me: "Yes, that's true. Some people have a lot, and others don't have very much. But that doesn't mean that one person is better than the other, do you both understand?
Both: "yes, mama"
Me: "so can you repeat what I said"
Them: "yes! I shouldn't say someone is fat because you can't be just fat, but everyone HAS fat and it's okay to have different fat"
Me: "exactly right!"
Them: "can we go back to the pool now?"
Me: no 
Each moment these topics come up i have to choose how I'm going to handle them. Fat is not a bad word in our house. If I shame my children for saying it then I am proving that it is an insulting word and I continue the stigma that being fat is unworthy, gross, comical and undesirable.
Since we don't call people fat as an insult in my household, I have to assume she internalized this idea from somewhere or someone else. Our children are fed ideas from every angle, you have to understand that that WILL happen: at a friends house whose parents have different values, watching a tv show or movie, overhearing someone at school- ideas about body image are already filtering through their minds. It is our job to continue to be the loudest, most accepting, positive and CONSISTENT voice they hear. So that it can rise above the rest.
Give me a 🙌🏻 if this resonated w u!
Just do you!
We can't control everything our kids see and hear from other adults, kids, or even just what they pick up from observing the world around them, but a calm conversation can sometimes help to set them back on the right path. Kimmey is also trying to get more of her ideas about body positivity out there for folks who are trying to share these ideas with their own kids, announcing a new children's book on Instagram, as well: 

 And she also leads by example, showing her little girl exactly what a beautiful beach body looks like:


No comments:

Post a Comment